Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Secret Wish To Be A Nomadic Vagabond

From the tittle alone, I'm sure you think I'm nuts.  Don't get me wrong, I don't find being a homeless person romantic in any way, it's about my perspective on freedom.
Since the time I was 15, I have always had a job and was able to completely support myself. I always thought that the more money I make the more freedom I would have and the easier my life would be.  But the truth is, if you are anywhere in between being independently wealthy and being homeless with no responsibilities,  you are tied down by something. 
Took this pic on my dog walk 2/22/12. We were
near  the Vet's Bridge.

I have worked hard to get where I am today. I moved out of my mom's house at 17, took an hour and a half bus ride to work for years, saved very extra penny and bought my house when I was 23. The thing is, the more money I made, the more possessions I collected and the more bills I had. In reality, I am no better off financially than I was when I was 15, I just have more stuff.
Home sweet home

What if, I just sold everything and released myself from the shackles of owning shit. I would be free to tramp around the country and the world. Sure, I would work here and there so that I could save up enough money to get from one place to another, but imagine the experiences I would have, the people I would meet, the things I would learn. I want life to be unpredictable, a surprise at every sunrise.
NYC bound 2008


Isn't that what life should be? A non-stop whirlwind of adventure!?! I would take the good with the bad and in the end I can only imagine the stories I would have to tell
Colorado hike, 2010

Basically, what it comes down to is that on my death bed, I don't want to have any woulda, shoulda, coulda's. We only get one life (as far as I know) and I don't want to spend most of it on auto-pilot doing the same thing day after day after day. Been there done that. I feel like the magic of life is found in the unexpected and you don't get there without a little risk taking.  I have seen it happen time and time again.  And I am a true believer that you may not always get what you want, but you will always get what you need.

Then again, I'm writing this as I wait for my massage appointment. And I am sure I will ponder it more as I'm snuggled under my down comforter  in my warm bed in front of the plasma television. Maybe I should just shut up and appreciate all of the things I do have and just keep surrounding myself with people who love me.
I guess its a choice between comfort or adventure.
Maybe I could find some comfort in adventure.
Maybe I should stick with the adventure I find in comfort.



No comments:

Post a Comment