Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Spoon Theory: Art for a Cause

The Spoon Theory:
The spoon theory was created by Christine Miserandino. as a way to convey to a friend what living with Lupus is like. As she describes it, you only get so many 'spoons' a day (a 'spoon' equals the amount of energy it takes to complete a task) and even the smallest of tasks (that healthy people take for granted) like doing the dishes,may cost you a 'spoon'. A person living with Lupus has to make choices day to day on how they need to 'spend' their spoons. Reading her theory made me understand a little better what life would be like with the disease.
courtesy of butyoudontlooksick.com


I have known about the spoon theory for some time now. Since I opened up my shop in 2010, I have been contacted by a handful of folks living with Lupus and Fibromyalgia who wanted a pendant as an 'extra spoon' to get through the day with. It makes me happy that is some small way I've made someones day a little brighter and the stories I heard from customers were so heartwarming and endearing that I thought I would start to 'pay it forward' and donate a potion of my sales to charity.

Recently I teamed up with Erin Kotecki Vest, author of the blog Queen of Spain. and for every purchase originating from my button placed on her blog, I will donate 5% back to the Lupus Foundation. Feel free to click on the link and check out her posts. She is a woman that is very open and honest about her daily struggles of being a mom, a wife and a person living with Lupus. Her writing is witty, funny, engaging and candid and I'm honored to have made a connection with her.

Look for this button on her blog.

Sunshyne Silverwear ~ Recycled Spoon Pendants

No comments:

Post a Comment