Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Just a little bit further than I've gone before

I love following fellow artist's on Facebook, especially this time of year when so many fresh ideas are blossoming.

Recently, my friend Justin (ILL Jewelry) has really stepped it up a notch going from his beautiful wire wrapped gems to his new bezeled and soldered silver jewelry. It's pretty amazing. 





I can see that the love for what he does, pushed him to a whole new level and it gave me inspiration to do the same. I decided to take on a challenge of my own. I wanted to create an intricate cut out spoon piece that would be the piece de resistance of my collection. So here is it's progression: 


First I flattened the spoon, then the fun begins

see how tiny the blade is?

really starting to take shape now! 


you can see all of my relief holes. I thread one end of the
 blade in then reattach it to the frame and begin cutting



Time for the tumbler. The tumbler is a machine that
 will smooth all of the angry little burrs (it will also
shine the piece up really nicely) 

Ta-Da!!! 

giving 75 year old spoons a new life since 2008

What a beautiful statement piece

This was a one-of-a-kind, one-off statement piece created in tribute to a pattern I found in an old book. This was more work than I have EVER put into a pendant. If you would like to own this special piece, it will be available for a short time on my web site. Clicking here to take you to the item in my shop. It comes with a 24 inch silver plated chain with a lobster clasp closure. I am also offering FREE SHIPPING on this piece for the short time it will be available online. 


Thank you for coming along with me on my journey to push myself through the limits of my expertise. 



3 comments:

  1. Great job Erin!!! It's great to see the progression you've made in your art just in the time I've know you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin - that piece is breathtaking. I almost hope the permanent home it finds is with you!

    ReplyDelete