Sunday, May 6, 2012

Taste of NOLA

Yesterday I participated in the 5th annual Crawfish Festival, a benefit to help rebuild homes in New Orleans. I had so much fun, it was a beautiful day with a great turnout of attendees.

My new banners!!! 

On the opposite side of the park, they were cooking up a TON of crawfish. I had never tried them, let alone seen them in person, so today was the day to give them a shot.


crawfish cook captain

 I went for the pound o crawfish dinner. They looked innocent enough, like little baby lobsters. Thing was, I had asked about 5 people as I walked back to my booth if they could tell me how to eat them, and not one person had a clue. Once I got back I asked a customer if he knew, and he said something about breaking the head off and sucking out the brains. Well, I would consider myself pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but that crossed the line for me. I ended up eating just the tails and some of the claws.


my pound of crawfish


It was quite the chore to even get the meat out of the little suckers. Not to mention the wet, sticky, gritty mess it made. Even after I washed my hands numerous times, they still smelled like crawfish all day.  I might have been the minority when it came to disliking the fare though. The event ended at 7pm and they ran out of crawfish a little after 5!
The show on the other hand was perfect! People seemed to really dig my spoon pendants. I had a great show and met a bunch of talented, friendly artists.
While eating the crawfish was probably a first and last experience all in one, as far as the Crawfish Festival goes, I will definitely be back for more!

mid day at the fest


I have to give a little shout out to Tiffany Cotsonas from Freckles and Frizz who made my new fabric flag bunting banners (as seen above). I am so proud of my presentation now. I absolutely LOVE the look!! Thanks Tiff!  










1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun and interesting festival! I'm so glad that you like the banners! I guess I will have to get you some of my buisiness cards :)
    Thanks Erin! You rock!

    ReplyDelete